Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Evolution of a Box Piece

 I found this drawer lying on a table in the room where I teach collage. At first I thought it was wood but when I touched it realized it was plastic. I was disappointed at first but then decided it didn't matter.  Nobody claimed it and it had my name all over it so I took it home. Here is what I did with it:

The inside of the box was covered in red flocked paper. Yuck! I should have taken a picture of it but didn't. I glued this vintage marbled paper inside to carry the antique look I was going for. I found these papers on the street along with covers for an old dictionary. The covers I used to make a journal that I showed in a previous post.


Next I glued this wonderful sheer fabric with roses to the outside on two sides. It used to part part of a blouse. I wanted to cover the plastic and integrate the outside with the inside more.


I have all these vintage sewing notions that I've been wanting to use in a piece and this was the perfect opportunity. The small card on the right holds woman's garters. The  larger card on the left holds hooks and eyes and has beautiful text.  I made the spiral from a bit of cloth covered copper wire that was fraying and hung it from the top of the box with some waxed linen.


A numerical table got glued to the back wall and an old green tape measure is down on the bottom.

 I think I'll call it Sewing Box

2 comments:

milkcan said...

How cool, Liz! I'm so glad that you'll be participating in Art Journal Every Day!

Liz Curtin said...

Hey Julie, Thanks so much! This reminds me that I need to put the Art Journal Every Day badge on my blog. Can't wait for it to start.